All the basic moves from Apocalypse World are used EXCEPT “open your brain” and “read a charged situation.” For reference, the remaining basic moves from the Apocalypse World book are:
- Do Something Under Fire
- Go Aggro
- Seize by Force
- Seduce or Manipulate
- Read a Person
- Help or Interfere
All of these moves except “Help or Interfere” can be “Advanced” per Apocalypse World.
Shadowrun: Apocalypse also uses the optional battle moves of:
- Provide covering fire for someone
- Maintain an untenable position or course
- Stay the fuck down
- Follow through on someone else’s move
Shadowrun: Apocalypse does not use the Barter moves from Apocalypse World.
NEW BASIC MOVES
The following three moves are added to the Basic Moves list for all characters, and may be “Advanced” per Apocalypse World:
Scope Things Out (Replaces “Read a Sitch” from AW):
When you study a situation, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold, 1 for 1, to ask the GM the following questions. When you act on those answers, take +1 forward.
- What happened here recently?
- What is about to happen?
- What should I be on the lookout for?
- What here is useful or valuable to me?
- Who’s really in control here?
- What here is not what it appears to be?
When you draw upon your knowledge, roll +Sharp. On a 10+, the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the subject relevant to your situation. On a 7-9, the GM will give you facts, but it’s up to you to make it useful. The GM might ask you, “How do you know this?” You can only spout lore about a particular situation once unless that situation changes significantly.
Call on Inner Strength
When you’ve taken enough harm to die, roll +Will/+Magic. On a 10+, you find some inner reserve that lets you keep going: you’re at 11:00 on the Harm countdown. On a 7-9, you’re hanging on by a thread; you’re at 12:00, unconscious, but still revivable. On a miss, you tried your best, but that’s it for you. You may make this move before deciding whether or not to take a debility.
NEW BATTLE MOVE
Defend a Secure Position
When you defend a secure position, roll +Hard. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. As long as you defend that position, you may spend your hold, 1 for 1, to choose from:
- Redirect an attack from a person or thing in your position to yourself.
- Halve an attack’s effect or harm.
- You create an opportunity for an ally, giving that ally +1 forward to follow through on your move.
- Avoid concentrated fire for one tick.